Sunday, March 23, 2008

Getting my spring on


Firstly, this has been a fabulous weekend. The weather has been incredible. Spring has officially sprung. And the moon has been full, gorgeous. Absolutely no complaints there. I love that my plants are putting out new leaves again and turning darker shades of green.

Did some much needed spring cleaning to Django Reinhart this morning after discovering the Temescal Farmer's Market, which, it turns out, is a lot closer to me than I realized. I picked up some garlic, tangelos, a Hot Cross bun and some white flowers to fill out my Easter bouquet (pictured at left).

I love just being outside in this weather. Even though I've been living up the park life with the band the past few months, days like today are what it's all about. I dragged a picnic lunch, the blank notebook and the banjo out to Mosswood Park and practiced Duelin' Banjos and my G, C and D chords to prep for lesson #3 on Tuesday. I may have even sorta kinda gotten that vamping thing right a couple of times. So excited about the banjo, btw. Esp. playing it in the out of doors.

After seeing Michael Pollan and talking to Ronak and Dan about WWOOF and farming, I'm all fired up about it again. For all the direction I've lacked since graduating, it seems so obvious that I need to go to Iceland. That I need to stick my hands in the dirt for a few months. Not that the plan has changed since November, but the more I talk about it, the more jazzed I get. And with all that jazz, I made attempt #3 at reclaiming 2008 from fate and thought again about what I want/need to do this year. Mostly good things like reading books, living it up in China, learning how to silkscreen, saving $$, playing music, connecting and being open to chance. After all the death and darkness this winter, all the sun and life are really hitting the spot.

What all of this means, though, is that I'm getting spring tea party fever. It's time to put the kettle on and pull out the lawn sports. An epic party is in order, so get out your Sunday best for flowering teas, scones, crustless sandwiches, croquet, bocce ball. I'm craving lap dogs, parasols, linen pants, boater hats, doilies (which my mother gave me for my birthday), the works. And I think I'll try to take it up a notch this year as well. Try to invite more people, bulk up the fanciness parade, and have music. Everything is better with live music.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

i think we both know that the party can't happen until i get my virgin of guadeloupe dress in the mail. only then can the bocce and tea drinking start!