Wednesday, March 26, 2008

homework

Here's Earl Scruggs playing Fireball Mail.



I am intended to figure out how to play this for the next banjo lesson. Hard! I have some serious learning to do.

I have been instructed on how to play all the different parts of it, but have been left to my devices as to how to remember which part goes where and how they fit together, etc. Not to mention that I have to remember it all in the first place. We did record three versions of the song at diff speed at the tail end of the lesson so I can hear it one note at a time. If I listen to the melody 60+ times a day, maybe it'll stick. And hopefully I can get some hints on the fingering from these YouTube vids.



Man, he doesn't make this easy starting me out on Earl Scruggs, but how proud will I be if I can even get close to figuring this out?? I think my goal will be to play it all the way through with no cheating before I leave for China. I am pumped. Sort of half daunted and half positive I can totally do it.

If any of you musicians out there want to struggle through this with me some time, I'm happy to oblige :)

No comments: