Tuesday, July 29, 2008

after hours at the 5th string

I was tripping through Cripple Creek during my banjo lesson last night. Cripple Creek is one of those songs every banjo player knows. It's pretty simple and very repetitive, with an A part and a B part that are pretty similar, and the song structure goes A A B B. For whatever reason, I couldn't for the life of me count to two yesterday. Even when I knew I should be playing whichever part again, my picks would get caught in my strings and my tempo was off.

All of it was a big mess when I want to go in there and make my teacher proud that I've been practicing. So, we switched over to Fireball Mail, which I'm better at, and went over that first part of Salt Creek so I can learn it in bits while my GarageBand is out of commission.

Then after he was convinced I'd remember Salt Creek, we did Fireball Mail again. And I have to say that I'm on to him and his how about I kick things off so that he can play it faster than I would, but when we got to Cripple Creek again, he was playing it even faster than the speed I couldn't do earlier and goddamn if I didn't nail it. A huge smile broke out across my face. I almost started laughing.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

sweet, sweet progress!!!