Monday, July 21, 2008

The Life Pursuit

There has been a lot of persistent black cloud hovering about lately, but this weekend I did my best to emerge victorious over it. We'll see how I did. I think it's generally a good idea to keep oneself busy - idle mind, devil's workshop, etc. - but at some point the stuff you put off for later will catch up with you. All in due time, I suppose.

In any case, my interest in the Iceland adventure has rared up again. Which is not to say it was ever lacking, but that all of the going away and doing things that other people are up to these days, I want to be going away and doing things too. The original plan still seems solid. Iceland/farming adventure + Spanish learning adventure + Peace Corps adventure. To be followed by a better informed life pursuit.

What I really wanted to say though was that yesterday - yesterday was something of a gray morning, and not just because the fog was heavy - I found myself wrist deep in runny compost muck because it had seemed like a good idea to assess the situation in my worm bin. So I dug through the compost at the bottom of the bin. Black, black stuff that it is. I could never have imagined myself voluntarily submerging my hands in worm-studded runny blackness, but there I was doing it. And enjoying every second of it.

But, not just enjoying. There was a flicker of alive, realness that came as I worked the compost into the extra dirt from some old pots. As if I were doing real things in the real world for once. And I'd needed that.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

i can tell you that i had to bury something in the front yard of my apartment building before i left (i'll explain why if you really want to know), and i got my hands all caked in dirt, and i LOVED it. as they say, it's like a "clean dirty", dirt, that is...for all dirt is is matter out of place!!