Saturday, May 9, 2009

Fighting the fight

There's an episode of Radiolab that talks about an alternate version of the Trojan War, this one according to Archilicus, in which the 'Greeks invade, get their butts kicked, and then run, run like sissies.'

The Greek reads, One doesn't have to call it weakness or cowardice having to retreat. No, there does exist a proper time for flight, which Archilicus celebrates because sometimes you have to turn and run, saving yourself to fight another battle another day, and he claims there is no shame in that - in changing your priorities.

I'm thinking about Archilicus today. This past week has been clouded black by the smoky fires of a thousand troops waiting for the battle call. For the record, I believe I could win. If something is not right, I do not believe in standing idly by. I am not one to quit, but of all the crusading I could devote my energy to, this isn't the war I want to claim victory of.

I believe I have acted honorably. And I believe the time has come to make my exit.

No comments: