Thursday, February 11, 2010

The nocturnal spirits

I've been having nothing but bad dreams for as long as I can remember now. Years, maybe. But last night it culminated with my mother having a stroke in my arms. I came down the steps to see her teetering, unable to find her balance. And then her words were slurred. She said it was a migraine when I caught her fall. She looked confused and felt soft as I held her. I felt calm knowing this must be the worst possible thing and felt my pockets for my cell phone to dial in the emergency, but it wasn't there.

I didn't wait to find out what happened. I woke up and called my mother instead. Still there, thank god. And healthy as you could hope.

Maybe I need a witch doctor to translate my black unconscious, to tell me what I need to metabolize or come to terms with that is haunting me at night, to tell me what it knows that I am missing.

Maybe I need a dream catcher.

2 comments:

Ciana said...

i have some flower essence from leah called "peaceful sleep" that i'd be happy to lend/give you!

also: valerian root/st. john's wort are great ideas (but you have to be a touch careful with the SJW):

http://www.yogiproducts.com/products/details/bedtime-tea/

myrkur ljos said...

You know, I think I have a few more sachets of that bedtime tea. I should brew myself a cup of that magic to sip as I read myself to sleep.

Though I wouldn't mind trying out a little flower essence! Sounds refined.