Saturday, February 16, 2008

The kind of picture that reminds me of that Rodin in the LACMA sculpture garden


** borrowed from the Brooklyn Vegan, who I presume borrowed it from Thomas Bartlett?

The question still remains, though, whether that gripping sense of capturing a single moment really translates as well in photography. I think that sense is dulled on us. When you see an enormous bronze monolith captured in a moment in space, it seems more real, and I'm jealous of sculpture for that even though Henri Cartier-Bresson might argue that the definitive moment is photography.

In any case, I really like this image. I like the movement and the use of focus. And, of course, the way black and white lets you see form without being distracted by color. I like an image that lets you complete a motion in your mind, that lets you put on (or take off?) his jacket, follow him onstage and absorb the lights as the music starts. In a word, engaging. I like an image that is engaging.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

wow, wow, double wow. all smart-photography-art talk aside, this man has it goin' on. he a vedette i'm not aware of?