Monday, June 8, 2009

Not to be an Apple dork


But I have to admit, I'm pretty jazzed about the new set of MacBook Pro's that came out today. The 7 hour battery life goes beyond my wildest dreams, even if I need to dim my screen to 50% brightness and do little more than light web browsing. Not only that, but the new computers now come with a firewire port, which is something I was def bummed that the last ones didn't have. And of course the prices have come down, which is always a welcome development.

That seven hour battery, is definitely a trump card, though. You can even upgrade your 250GB hard drive to 320GB for just $50 ($45 with the education discount). It is a sign that I do in fact need a new personal computer. I need to order it fast while I still have the hookups for that friends and family discount and can get this beast of a machine delivered to work where there'll be someone to sign for it.

Other computer buying tips: It looks like you can get Microsoft Office for Mac (Home and Student edition) cheaper at J&R than you can through Apple (even with a student discount). And if you pay with Google Checkout before Father's Day (6/21), you can get an extra $5 off. Doesn't come pre-installed though. Also, if you want Apple Care, you can wait up to a year to buy it, and there's a decent discount for students, so if you think you might somehow qualify within the next year, it's probably worth the wait.

Ps. Thanks to the little birdie that gave me the tip not to upgrade my home computer last week.

No comments: