Thursday, April 22, 2010

Bartery

I've been having this inkling for a while now about bringing back barter. It seems like such a great way to connect with people.

I've been fascinated for a long time with how things work and where things come from, especially food, and I feel like lots of folks have a lot to offer on that front. And wouldn't it be great if we could all share?

To start things off, I'm throwing a little jam making party. I've made jam most years for the past few years now, and I almost always let people know when I'm planning to do it, but no one has ever taken me up on joining in until now. I can't possibly eat all the jam I make. I still have tons of jam from previous years, but there is something therapeutic and good-feeling about making jam or bread or anything that was once a mystery.

I'm taking this bit of interest as a sign of what I hope will be a sea change, and this year I'm hoping to step it up a notch. I went on a little seed ordering spree -- Ok, a big seed ordering seed spree -- and I now have thirty some varieties of vegetables, herbs and flowers all waiting to get in the ground. I'm trying to sign up for a community plot near me, but if that doesn't pan out, there's no way I can plant all of these in the little planters on my roof I intend to claim. So, I'm hoping that maybe my seeds and I can make friends with folks with a bit of extra space in their yards. I would love to trade either seeds for some of the vegetables/herbs/flowers they produce or maybe I could offer vegetables/herbs/flowers to someone in exchange for a bit of earth. Or some of my seeds for some of your seeds. Or some of my seeds for some of your vegetables. Or some of my seeds for a smile and some good will. I've already got one taker!

Life just feels so good these days. Things feel so Right. I'm so ridiculously busy, with five classes, four volunteer gigs, and a propensity for throwing parties, but I'm reminded of The Alchemist, or Jack and the beanstalk, or a proverb that suggests keeping seeds in your pocket to expand your wealth. I love the way you can take one seed, set it in the earth, nurture it for a bit and get a hundred seeds back. How beautiful is that?

Happy Earth Day!

...and if anyone is interested in a little bartery, let me know!

No comments: