Sunday, April 11, 2010

Today's ounce of inspiration

After catching up on my Sartorialist and Garance Doré (see: Blogs of Note <---), watching westerns with Nat, and dining with Amélie, I am really wanting to get sewing.

Here's one more bit of fuel in that fire:



I love when texture gives another dimension to monochrome. I'm kind of excited that neutral tones are in this season. Maybe I'll be able to actually buy some clothes I like.

Can I admit that I'm kind of into the idea of those one piece jumper things? I don't think I've ever even tried one on, but I secretly love them. I would also love whatever this girl is wearing as a fun little sun dress, but not so much as a shirt. Adding shape to a dress with a little elastic is one thing, but somehow I just can't do it in a shirt.

Also, I have discovered via lucky trials and lots of error that sleeve length can really affect the vernacular of a top. My brain, thanks probably to easy Simplicity patterns, used to see the world in two lengths -- three if you count sleeveless: 1. Long sleeves, which come to your wrist, 2. Short sleeves that stop half way between your elbow and your shoulder, (And 3. No sleeves at all). But since throwing ready made patterns to the wayside, I have become enamoured with sleeves that go to the bottom of your thumb, or maybe two inches above your wrist, or 3/4 length sleeves and 2/3 length sleeves, and cap sleeves or sleeves that come down maybe a third of the way from your shoulder to your elbow. One curious thing about sleeves, though, is that the possibilities do not seem to be endless. There seem to be a finite number of lengths that look good, and chancing upon them is kind of like using a stud finder -- no no no no no no no no YES no no YES no...

One more thing I love and then I'll stop - slubbed cotton! Slub is great because it adds texture and even some tonal interest, and not only that, it doesn't seem to pill or look as drab as other cotton knits. I am all for it! If only I knew where to find a decent bolt of it...

No comments: