Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I have become a total jock. I'm watching four soccer matches a day now. All I need is to rustle up some fellow futbol enthusiasts to kick a ball around in the park.

Now I need to get some beauty rest before England v. Slovenia v. USA v. Algeria tomorrow! It kind of is true that we do have that ref from Mali who robbed us of our goal against Slovenia last week to thank for Americans starting to care a tiny bit about the World Cup. Even though I still think our team look like beauty queens with those ugly sash-like stripes across their chests -- seriously, can we write Miss USA on the stripe?? -- I am secretly rooting for the yanks to make it past the first round. Then, once I re-fill out my no-money betting pool, I will pick a new foe to trounce our boys.

The last two weeks in recap:
"That was ridiculous" referring to Portugal's 7-0 punishment of North Korea. Now that's what I call solidifying your goal differential. See also: Ronaldo's confused juggling turned goal. Def a highlight.
Richie Tenenbaum-core falling apart of the French team, though I was proud of them for pulling off a goal a man down in their last game. Way to end it on a high note, guys.
England have yet to show their stuff. Do they actually have any? The jury is out.
Ref robs the USA of a totally earned 3-2 victory over Slovenia. So not cool!
New Zealand hangs in there scoring an equalizer vs. Slovakia in the last thirty seconds of stoppage time. And even score first on Italy. Take that!
Spain look like fools in front of Switzerland, but manage to shape up vs. Honduras. You're going to have to do better than that if you want to win this, Spain.
Switzerland allows a goal, ending their record threatening streak. Only time will tell if their keeper can handle the devastation.
I totally called Group B: Argentina and South Korea advance!
Italy: nothing spectacular. Poor showing for the current world champs.
Brazil: so far topping their group, as expected.
The bafana bafana can't recover from their red card v. Uruguay and make South Africa the first host country not to make it past the Group stage. :(
The Nigerians can't live up to the name Supereagles, but then Supereagles is a pretty badass name...

No comments: