Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Novel Advice

I am running out of books to read, especially fiction. True, I've still got five of the six volumes of the Tale of Genji ahead of me

[which, as an aside, I am super impressed with Arthur Waley's translation. This book is purported to be the first novel ever written. It was written something like a thousand years ago, and it reads as easily as a novel - albeit a somewhat dense Dickens-y novel in its infinite description of minutae - from the 1960s, when the translation was first published. Not only that, but the man has done an amazing job at the encyclopedic work of explaining the nuances of medieval Japanese culture.]

but still. After all the news about David Foster Wallace, I suppose I'll try to attack Infinite Jest once I have my way with the Tale of Genji, but I need something more travel friendly to carry around with me.

So, I put it to you - what should I be reading?

No comments: