Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fog

In some ways today was perfect.

I only saw the emails about my grandmother being in the hospital as I was on my way out the door. Something about a fall, a broken hip, lots of morphine, surgery and a question about her wishes. I had a quick business-like conversation with my mother as i walked to the bus stop to get the most up to date information, which was: I don't know. Little enough information that I could set it all aside to consider later.

The bus came right away, and I got to Tolman right on time. The psych experiment I signed up for was an exercise in active forgetting - not my strong suit, but it was good practice. The experimenter made a comment to the effect of - I've got a mind like a steel trap. And I made $25, which is great. I can use all the money I can get.

And then I was off to Hilgard, a convenient stone's throw away, to work with the Suding folks. I entered my data from the past month in no time at all and was apprised of this new experiment that I may be able to very nearly take over, which would be great. I spent the afternoon writing out labels. I got carried away in the zen repetition of it all and labeled five hundred-some cones. I'd have kept going if my hungry stomach hadn't noticed how dark it had become.

And then home just in time for Fresh Air with a lovely Tuscan dinner. I tried to read about the nitty gritty of xylem, but my curtailed sleep last night and the vague question of whether I should be booking a flight to Los Angeles for some time between my class Thursday night and my midterm Saturday afternoon kept me from it.

So, dinner was followed by an evening of uploading photos to the blog I made for my tree id class. Happy work that left my mind to relax. I prepared 25 posts for the next five days.

And I've been able to sleep! Ever since giving my word over a certain handshake, no one has died in my dreams. No awful things happen that I am expected to fix. I spend my unconscious nights in Paris walking along the Seine. I think I'll see if I can't get back there now.

No comments: