Saturday, March 21, 2009

Catch up

What have I even done in the past couple of weeks. Not have free time, that's what.

Here is a brief recap:
BLUEGRASS BAND PRACTICE has started up again. Having three minutes to myself a week is making me not as great a banjo player as I may have appeared to be when I was practicing more, but this is ok because no one else in the band can play banjo. The mandolin player Pat has a super awesome rehearsal space in his parents' "garage" that we have been using. There are stage lights, a grand piano, two drum kits, plenty of chairs, inspirational (music-related) posters, and even music note string lights, so we've been practicing there. On St. Patrick's day, his mom cooked a positively first rate corned beef and potatoes and soda bread and carrots and cabbage dinner and we put on a little show for the guests. Good stuff. People love us. Now I just need to not forget my parts in the middle of songs...

MY COUSIN'S WEDDING in Los Angeles last weekend was just beautiful. I kept remarking on how darling a couple David and Kayo are. Sigh. A good time was had by all. I even got to take home one of the centerpieces (the most fantastic white hydrangeas in the prettiest turquoise vases), or rather, I took it out to the car and then sent it home with John since it couldn't come on the plane with me. And John was there! The sibs and I drove down to his place on Friday night to bake housewarming cookies (although I think I forgot to tell anyone they were housewarming cookies, so I'll probably make more housewarming baked goods) and play a little poker. I had not been previously aware that my siblings were so intent on becoming cardsharks. Thankfully, John was on my team to assure me that I was in fact allowed to look at my cards before betting - thanks John! In other excitement, John caught the garter at the wedding, which seems to have set the wheels in various maternal heads turning. All in due time!

SPANISH is going well. There was a nice, easy to read first letter of the alphabet on the second test we got back, which suggests to me that I can slack off a little more when I need to decompress since I am taking this class pass not pass after all.

MY TAXES have been filed! I think I did them in record time this year, which I am proud of.

THE BOTANICAL GARDEN is absolutely gorgeous these days. Spring has officially sprung. I am madly in love with that place.

Coming up:
My sister is performing Tommy - the musical by the Who - next weekend, which I am flying home for - how could I miss it?
New York to visit Ciana with a special guest appearance by my sister the architect!
More botanical garden!

No comments: