Thursday, March 5, 2009

Waking life

Where to start.

I had a dream last night. And I am one to have epic dreams on occasion. These almost always involve some herculean responsibility that falls to me because no one else can or will do it. Or some sort of trial. Or both. Even when the scenery is extraordinary, these are usually exhausting. And violent. And disappointing because I am always alone.

And you could say that these dreams stem from some overbearing sense of duty that my conscious self is absolutely aware of. There are things that one must do because they are the right thing to do.

But lately, things have been different. I feel content in my waking life. I feel good. I feel like -

I feel like Schroedinger's cat that had assumed it was in one state, but has had its box opened and is discovered to be in fact very much alive. Or a photon that had always thought of itself as a particle and finds that when push comes to shove it demonstrates the properties of a wave.

And I wondered when that sort of thing would start to show up in my dreams. I've been waiting.

Last night it happened.

I must have flown the whole world over with my father, who could not fly on his own. But instead of being chased, we were just looking for our way home. We never found it. He'd suggest one way, and I'd be sure our hostel was the other direction and we'd stray farther and farther from our village as I followed his directions, but I had the most wonderful time. We saw tropical islands, the building of a bamboo bridge, clowns walking the streets of modern day western towns with the brightest and most detailed store fronts. Everyone wore the most incredible clothes and hats. We found these incredible kites (made of a small umbrella with a mass of prayer flags tied to the handle - magically, it was the prayer flags that caught the wind) to help us when I was having trouble flying. My wallet was stolen at one point while we were flying low. Or maybe it fell out of my pocket, but it didn't worry me at all. Some of the places we flew over were pretty gritty, but still fantastical. I just knew everything would be alright.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

what a night for dreams!! flying ones are the best, and i've heard that they symbolize current and PREDICT future happiness...