Friday, March 27, 2009

Postcards from abroad, episode 7: On spring


Seeing flowers on the trees at work and around Oakland reminds me of my first day in Kyoto. It was April, during the Cherry Blossom Festival, and I remember taking Molly's tour of the downtown area in something of a jet-lagged daze, having spent a sleepless night on an overnight bus from Tokyo. It was maybe one of the most perfect days I've ever had the time to step back and notice. I remember the yellow light, the way the air felt sweet, and a sense of newness. The way everything was new and fresh - Japan, the shapes of the houses, the letters on buildings, the sounds in the street and the pink petals on the trees.

Looking at this photo again now, I'm struck by blue the sky is. And how I know the sky in China looks nothing like it.

No comments: