Monday, June 23, 2008

God only knows

[Listening to Pet Sounds on a loop today]

I've prob talked your ear off about how this year has been crazy. The weird thing was that I had a feeling back in January that this would be one of those years.

Lately, most of the madness has been happy-madness. I'm excited about the prospect of Kevin and Julia getting married next summer. If anyone needed a bit of good news finally, it was them. Seems like there's a lot of marriage going on these days. Although, the closest I get myself is conversations about how I'll probably die an old maid (insert smirk here).

But, seriously. First of all. I thought I was totally off the hook after my grandfather died. That was three, and I thought you were off the hook after three. Three is the magic number, right? But, I think it was the week after the funeral that my uncle got around to mentioning that he had like stage four cancer of the throat. And he had his surgery a few weeks ago and seems to be ok so far. (though god only knows how he's paying for it...). Then there was Seymour, my cat. And that call on Memorial Day. And Seymour seems to be recovering too.

But then Friday night, my sister IM'ed me about this year's latest kidney failure. Apparently my 17 year old (or so) cousin got reallly sick after working out one day and is in the hospital. He said his chest hurt or something and they thought it was a heart attack - which is INsane for a kid that young - but now I guess it looks more like something diabetes-related coupled with kidney failure. The last email I saw about it said they had to induce coma to put in a tube for dialysis. Serious stuff.

So, I should be concerned. right? I should be worried. I should be giving this more thought. But I haven't even really gotten around to mentioning it to anyone. Somehow kidney failure doesn't slip into conversation that easily. Go figure.

Instead, I've been playing banjo in the park and having a beer at Jupiter with Justin. And I'm mostly just jazzed about band stuff. Can't tell if that just means I'm particularly self-absorbed. But it also seems like there's good stuff just under the surface. Waiting to happen. And I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: