Thursday, June 12, 2008

Really not having fun at work these days. I called home for encouragement and was presented with three options:

1. keep the current job
2. prostitute yourself to a rich man "if you're compatible"
and a grudging 3. teach at a catholic high school

oh and 4. move, as a 26 year old, into an old folks home to take care of your grandmother

Boo. No fun. This kind of conversation reminds me that my mother and I do have our differences of opinion in these matters. Maybe I won't be a carbon copy of her in 30 years after all.

I would have told me whoa whoa whoa, I know we're having a bad day, but we just financed a cat surgery, my friend. Let's take a step back here. Let's remember our plan. Let us not quit our job in haste. We are having a bad work day, yes. Agreed. No argument there. But let's wait till the dust settles on all this reshuffling before we do anything rash. At the very least till any vacation debt won't be deducted from our final paycheck. If trying to help merchants with hard questions makes your numbers look bad, so be it. If it means you won't get promoted, so be it. Let's keep our eyes on the prize here. And the prize, frankly, doesn't have anything to do with work. If work is making you frustrated, put in your 8 hours and leave work at work. Take your paycheck and save your energy for something you actually care about.

Same conclusion really, but it's all about the execution.

I need to start writing more posts from home when I'm in my happy moods...

1 comment:

Ciana said...

aw man, we should have a pep talk about this soon, if you keep on having good days. there are a lot more options than the ones presented, and none of mine involve prostitution. or marriage, for that matter...