Friday, October 17, 2008

Green thumb

I noticed while putting about the apt yesterday that my orchid is putting out not one not two but THREE new shoots for flowers. How great is that?? All the other times, they've just put out one stem per flowering, and this is three!

And not only that. I noticed some crazy green things growing out of my neathebella palm, which I should mention was totally sickly when I took responsibility for it. I read the little tag in the pot, and apparently it is flowering! And even the leaves are turning greener after I put some of my compost mix on it. How sweet is that?

And almost everyone is putting out new leaves. The little alocasia isn't feeling that well, but the big one is putting out new leaves like it's nobody's business.

The schefflera is almost shrub sized. The little rubber plant's leaves are still black and the bigger leaves on the big one are looking healthier. And the aloe is sorta kinda standing up straight again now that I turned it around. I'll probably still need to move it to a bigger pot one of these days, but I'm v. pleased with its performance.

The little mystery plant that got overrun by my hypoestes until I repotted it is even looking happier in its new pot full of compost-rich soil.




All the philodendrons are happy and the jade is growing all over the place.

I don't know how to get the cardboard palm to grow, but at least is hasn't lost any more leaves in a while.

I know there's lots of economic craziness going on now and I'm thankful to have a job that should last as long as I want to do it, but wouldn't it be nice to spend all day looking after plants? Tending a garden and growing food.

No comments: