Saturday, October 4, 2008

Iceland, ho!

So, I am barely able to sit still. I am filled past the brim with Iceland love.

Let me tell you. We saw Sigur Rós last night. At the Greek Theatre in Berkeley. And I love the Greek Theatre and Sigur Rós is pretty much life changing, but it hasn't rained here in almost a year. Real rain, anyway. We all wore rain clothes for the show because the weather report said it might at long last be time, but it was so warm and humid you didn't need more than a short sleeved shirt. It sprinkled at the very start of things, but when Sigur Rós came out, the weather held its breath.

And they were wonderful. Different from the last couple of times I've seen them, but wonderful just the same. And happy. And Jónsi spoke to us. He asked us to sing and we sang. And he asked us to clap with Gobbledigook and we clapped. And they covered us with tissue paper confetti as if it was the happiest moment and you just couldn't contain yourself anymore and burst into a million colored sheets. And all the little paper leaves that stuck to me were green. And it just meant something.

But then, when they came back for an encore to play that song like they end the Reyjkavík show in Heima - the one that builds and builds and builds - we were lifted up and up and up, and right at the very top, the rain let loose. But it was a warm rain and you almost didn't want to put your jacket on so you could soak it up. And Jónsi came out to the edge of the stage to be touched by it.



And at that exact moment, I'm sure, there was a conversation happening in New York in which my dear, dear friend Ciana happened upon an unlikely Swede at a party. And I am to email this Swede, who will in turn lead me to Icelanders. Crowds and and parties of Icelanders. Eligible young Icelandic men. Pools of them. At a party in New York in January. I am there. I am absolutely there.

All I need to do is email this Swedish boy and learn Icelandic, which I would do if I could stop dancing around my apartment.

No comments: