Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Made the cut

I used to want to be (among other things) a professional soccer player when I grew up. I was way into sports. Not normal professional sports so much as the Olympics and any kind of soccer. There was something so epic about it. And running around and kicking things as hard as you could was pretty exhilarating. I wanted to play in the World Cup something awful. And not just a girl's version of the World Cup - The World Cup. Granted playing soccer in the Men's World Cup was pretty unlikely, let's be honest - how much more likely was it that I'd ever play in the Women's World Cup? Not that much.

We never had a soccer team in my grade school, but my high school had a varsity team and it was of like The Utmost Importance to me to be on that team. So I tried out. And I was competing against all these kids who had been playing in the more competitive (expensive) leagues. A lot of them were better. I knew that. But whatevs. I don't know what I was thinking, I just knew that I Had to be on that team. I just did.

Only my name wasn't on the list when the coach posted it. Cue the end of the world.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is my banjo teacher wants to start this band with his gf and a couple of his students. A bluegrass band. Like, a real bluegrass band with mandolin, fiddle, guitar, banjo, the works. He says they'll practice "regularly" with the goal of opening a show for his proper band in a couple months. And he wants me to be in it. All the other peeps are supposedly musical prodigies (granted at other instruments and not necessarily in bluegrass) but he wants me to be the banjo player in this bluegrass band. How could you say no to that? You couldn't.



**As a footnote, I did once play soccer on a traveling tournament team. One of the last tournaments we played in was a kids' World Cup. I think I still have my jersey.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

you are so amazing!!! i can't wait to hear all of the new stuff you've learned! whooohooo, congrats! what an honor!