Thursday, October 16, 2008

Jolie Holland at the Bimbo 365

I ended up watching the show mostly by myself. Took the shuttle to North Beach a little early. Found a cute cafe showing the tail end of the debates and handed over the better part of my last ten dollars for some tea and french onion soup.

Lots of folks I knew were there, but they all disappeared for one reason or another, but I don't so much mind watching shows by myself. If the music is on right, I usually float up in the space above my shoulders anyway. Just being present and absorbing it, you know?

I wasn't too worried about how the atm at work wouldn't give me money because I figured I could always borrow a dollar or so from someone for the bus/bart home. Only, when we met up after the show, everyone else seemed to have a ride, so I ran out to catch the 11pm bus. I counted out the right number of dimes and nickels and tried my atm card again on bart, but with no luck. And the Powell bart machines don't seem to take credit cards for whatever reason, so I fed my last three dollars and my last dime into the slot feeling lucky I didn't buy anything more expensive for dinner.

I left my laptop at work so I wouldn't have to carry it for however many hours at the show, but, on the way to the city, I remembered that I was thinking of staying home sick today, which would be fine and I could have worked still on some of the stuff I wanted to do with my home computer, but they want to launch this feature and I'm in charge of pressing GO for the help content, which requires the work comp.

So, of course this morning the throat is sore as ever not helped by getting home so late, but I hopped on the shuttle to MV, ran up, grabbed the computer, and hiked over to main campus to catch a shuttle back to the SF office. I had the foresight to buy a bart ticket for the ride back at MacArthur this morning, but it looks like they take credit at Embarcadero anyway. Good to know, I guess.

But man, so that was lame.

Then I call the bank to see what's up with my card not working and they say oh we canceled your card because our accountants noticed that your name wasn't spelled right on your card. We sent you a new one at the end of Sept, but we noticed you haven't activated it. ??????? Who ever heard of deactivating someone's card with no warning for something dumb like a supposedly misspelled name - and it was spelled right! I had been using that card for yearS. in the plural. and Now they decide it's a problem that my first name isn't on the card. And apparently the misspelling was so urgent that they couldn't wait for me to even get the new one in the mail. wtf? I got one for my mom, since I guess she's still on my account for whatever reason, so I asked if I could just use that one (a new one that just got here like last week), but the girl says they canceled that one too!

It took me about an hour and a couple of different supervisors, but I got them to turn my card back on.

I need a nap to recover from all this venting! I was planning to do a lil work today, but maybe I'll just take it easy for a bit then bike over to Berkeley Bowl to see if my card does indeed work again.

What I wanted to say, though, was that seeing Jolie Holland was nice. I like the way her drawl gets amplified when she's singing and how it lets her slide around in her vowels. I think she also had a nice looking Gibson guitar. I am kind of getting a little crush on those, esp. after Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Even though it doesn't so much matter when the music starts, the spinster feeling picks up between songs and on the long ride home, but I try not to think about that much.

No comments: