Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cush

I have a li'l soft spot in my heart for throw pillows for the way they add a functional lushness to a space, and I find that Moroccan pillow covered sofa look super inviting.

Of course Anthropologie makes perfect ones:

I like the material on these - sort of a rough-ish natural color linen with good textural interest.


And of course the nautical theme.


Also love the classy and simple linen - black color scheme.

I am def a fan old fashioned block prints, esp. with natural science subjects. Like, you could do butterfly diagrams or leaf illustrations. I love shadow boxes with bugs and things on the wall, but I like the idea of bringing this out into something you can touch. Friendlifying science, if you will.

And I don't know how to screen print (yet), esp not with multiple color layers, but I could whip out something like these:


I like this zig-zag, the orange-black-white color scheme for its bold simplicity, and the fabric texture, which they claim is silk.


I am always a fan of stripes. These might be a little bright, but you could do it with more sedate colors, or whatever goes with what you've got going on.

These almost remind me of some mosaics I've done. It would be cool to try a patchwork drawing or to test out geometric designs or even to attempt some kind of hybrid with that natural science aesthetic - doing some kind of applique of leaf silhouettes, though I'd be wary of making it look too kitschy.

Pillows should be so easy to make, and probably for less than the $80-$100 Anthro charges. I have so much spare fabric lying around, I'd love to try some things. Looks like a pretty simple sewing job and shouldn't take too much time, even by hand.

All I need is pillow for the stuffing. That seems like the hardest thing to track down. I should try Ikea again, but their pillows can be really limp, and I don't know if they have plain ones small enough. Once I get that though, I shall take Etsy by storm!

2 comments:

Ciana said...

dude, even I can make a pillow. actually, that's not a bad place to start! i've always liked making dream pillows - stuffing them with lavender and mugwort to encourage crazy nighttime adventures!

btw, russell LOVES that whale pillow from anthro. i loved it too until i saw how much it cost.

myrkur ljos said...

i saw them in the store today - turns out the screen printed ones are made on burlap-type stuff. they didn't have the whale one, though, which is obv the best one. and not only that, they're more of a tan-flax color.