Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Raising the bar

Had a little chatlet with my plant disease professor this morning before class, which I've been meaning to do. It turns out I'm the only one I know (or that anyone knows, for that matter) taking five classes. Why would you want to do that?, she wanted to know. Because I took that many classes in college?, I said. And she reminded me of what passes through my own mind from time to time - that you don't have to do everything that you could do. College kids can do that, she said, but adults have life to take care of. I probably have to clean my own apartment and cook my own food, she ventured. This is true. It usually doesn't occur to me that it's ok to take care of stuff for me. Still, I suppose I feel more comfortable being as hard as possible on myself.

All during class I thought maybe I'd go easy on myself next semester. And then I compared lists of required courses for our different horticulture certificates with what's available in the spring on the bus ride home and have mentally signed up for five more classes, including the third semester of Spanish.

No comments: