Monday, September 7, 2009

New life, day 8: Regulating

Dude, I should have been a scientist. I am kicking school's butt so far. Granted I'm taking classes at community college after getting hard core on myself at Berkeley, but still. I was pleased that even coming into Soil Management in the third week, it took about 15 minutes before I was taking charge of the lab and explaining how to do the calculations to my group. I have a good group of folks - don't get me wrong - but I was jazzed to be able to soak up this new stuff so quickly.

I expect school to be easy. Busy, but easy. Even if my classes are geared more for future gardeners than future Ecology PhDs, It feels good to be getting my feet wet. It feels good to be surrounded by plants.

I am feeling mostly good these days. Inspired to be super social, and so far, so good. I was a chatty Cathy at the Botanical Garden on Saturday shoveling with Ilie and the gang. Not even the guys shoveled the whole time. I think I was the only one, but it felt good being outside, doing manual labour.

I even made a potential new pal/bus buddy in Permaculture on Friday. We'll see. I think he's in Soil Management too, which reminds me I still have oodles of reading to do, but I'm looking forward to it. And there was the other Russian girl from Soil Management who was also super sweet. Soon enough I'll be able to tell you all about how to prune your fruit tree and why. Or I will be able to do a textural analysis of your soil and measure your field capacity. Or grow food. Or identify plant diseases. In short, I will be cool.

And today: Labour Day Garden Party! Quelle success! So good to see everyone, even R&C, who I feel like I see almost every day now (and am loving every minute of it - way to move closer, guys!). So many people, such a good time! Yay for parties. May there be many more of them.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

you already ARE cool, but it certainly can't hurt that you'll be able to tell us how to prune our trees and manage our soil now!