Sunday, December 13, 2009

The epistolary underworld

Cleaning out one of my drawers in search of my Social Security Card, I chanced upon a stash of letters that might have been written or may yet some day be written. About loss. About regret. About love.

For example:
Dear Lisa,
I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to write you back. I am so grateful that you sent back Liza's birthday negatives. It was so kind to take the roll of film and even have it developed; most people would have thrown it in the trashcan. We were on Berkeley Campus that day because my brother went to Grad School there & he was showing us the campus. How amazing for it to be the role [sp.] of film with her name & school in the picture. She rarely wears that sweatshirt, but since we were ice skating, she took it with her. Thank you again for your generosity; I would have been disappointed to lose those pictures. It was her 8th birthday. Again - sorry this took so long, but I wanted to let you know that your efforts were greatly appreciated.
Fondly,
Margaret Jones

I am reminded of Ella Chase. There is the question about the distinction in nobility between the literary and physical worlds. I just hope things turn out better this time.

No comments: