Thursday, December 3, 2009

Teacher's pet

Or, Ask and you shall receive

My Soils prof pulled me aside before class to ask if A. I wanted him to introduce me to his Agro Ecology pal at UC Davis who is doing soil research and could give me a few pointers. Yes please, I said. and B. that his wife mentioned that I'd mentioned that I was interested in soils and would I be interested in being the lab assistant for next semester's Plant Nutrition class. Yes!

Apparently he was expecting to have to sell me on it. I don't think there's any money involved, but dude if I'm taking the class anyway, it seems like a pretty sweet deal. So I'll probably be getting letters of rec from a husband and wife team. At least they have different last names, but as far as I'm concerned, if you've got someone willing to help you out, you might as well milk it for all it's worth.

And can I just say that I was a little concerned at the beginning of the semester that I wasn't doing enough to get myself into grad school being at community college, but damn there really is something to being the one kid showing initiative.

No comments: