Monday, December 1, 2008

The beginning of the bluegrass band

So these home schooled 18 year old boys are really good. And they are adorable.

Tim (the banjo/mandolin teacher/band coordinator) told me and Anna (his gf/our guitar player) to be nice to them because they're shy. Aww how cute is that?? They are absolute sweethearts.

I really need to practice though. These kids learned in about 15 minutes the song I still can't play right even though I've been trying it for months. And they can play it faster and with out messing up as much - granted they've been playing their instruments for way longer. I'm just pleased to be playing bluegrass with other people, esp. people who are better than me.

I also need to learn how to play with a capo since all the fiddle versions of these songs are written in A instead of G, so I get lost when I have to make that giant leap in the B part of Salt Creek. And I need to practice chords and try to relearn some more interesting way of vamping behind other people's solos.

I did nail Cripple Creek, though, thankfully, since it's probably the easiest song I know.

Now that this quilt/monster is done and given away (more on that later), I'll have plenty of time to practice.

No comments: