Friday, December 5, 2008

The Death and Life of Great American Cities

Reading that piece by Jane Jacobs. I heard her on the radio a while back and she seemed like an all around cool lady, so I instructed my mom to collect this book from the Strand when she was in NY last winter. Finally getting around to it now.

And it's interesting when you read one of those earth shattering, paradigm shifting books written a couple decades ago, you're pretty much sure that the world must have ended at some point between publication and now - only you're still around to read the book. Cadillac Desert was like that. How can there still be water coming out of the faucets?? How are we still alive? Only now the questions are more like - how is it that Mosswood Park isn't an abandoned den of sin? Are we still building Garden Cities? Is there not a way for city people to meet each other that also includes trees?

I heart that the shuttle gets me reading in the mornings, but I still wonder if there's not some middle ground between impoverished unemployment and a 45 mile commute. How does one go about translating that wonder into an alternative source of income?

No comments: