Friday, January 23, 2009

Official volunteer

Just got off the phone with the volunteer coordinator at the San Francisco Botanical Garden. I am now an official volunteer and will start Saturday February 21st. I don't even have to change my flight to San Diego!!

Peace Corps still wants a year of farming experience for Ag volunteers, but from talking with the recruiter today, it sounds like it's pretty much a sure bet that they'll want me if only because I speak French. The good news is that they'll be looking mainly at my volunteer experience to figure out a placement for me, so as long as I make sure to volunteer to do things I love, I'm in good shape.

New tentative plan:
- Keep working till I get medical clearance (although maybe I can just keep up my health insurance through CalCOBRA - I should look into that...)
- Volunteer at the Botanical Garden at least ten hours a month till I'm not in town anymore.
- Look for more community gardening type volunteer work, if possible.
- Study Spanish until I can score at least a 50 on the CLEP exam. (I'm looking at some sample questions on the test now, and it doesn't look that hard).
- Start my Peace Corps application in May (when fall 2010 placements should start being available).
- Look for ecology/farming classes.
- See about working on farms maybe locally or in WA.
- France/Iceland for my birthday.
- Save $$ so I can quit and start doing environmental/agriculture/nutrition stuff full time.
- Look into getting an organic farming credentials.

Yay.
(and by Yay. I mean !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

1 comment:

Janak said...

If you're coming to France around your birthday, give me lots of notice. I might be going to conferences in Eastern Europe around then, but we can figure it out. I'm willing to meet you almost anywhere in Europe.