Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Proof that I am insane

I have in my possession a small blue slip of paper with Willy Lizarraga's autograph. When I fill the rest of it out and present it to Berkeley City College tomorrow, I will be enrolled in the second semester of Spanish, also known as the "worst" (read: hardest, most grammar-filled) semester. I have two and a half weeks to learn all of the first semester of Spanish, eight chapters of Dos Mundos, a book not yet in my possession.

I am out of my league. I know decidedly less than the worst person in the class probably, but it feels good. It is true: Willy is the best. I can do this. I will learn a semester of Spanish in two weeks. I will pass this test and I will pass this class. I will know all of Spanish grammar by the middle of May.

I will need to live and breathe Spanish. And not only that I will volunteer at the Botanical Garden if I can. Otherwise, I will patrol the Ecology Center list and USAService and find another way to fill this volunteering requirement. And I will impress my boss at work so that he doesn't notice that I'm leaving at 4:30 every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. And I will be in two bands. And I will somehow do yoga and eat and sleep. And I will visit John in San Diego. And I will go to my cousin's wedding. And I will visit Ciana in New York. This will work. I will be tired, but I will do it.

Ok off to change my Facebook to español, do a little yoga, shower and sleep so I can get up early, bike to West Oakland, work, bike to BCC, enroll in Spanish, acquire text books and attend an Ecology Center lecture on - get this - Iceland: Birds, People, and Conservation in a Land of Glaciers, Geysers, Volcanos, and Splendid Isolation.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

dude, you can SO do this. you're from LA. everyone from the southern parts can fake it better than most people can speak it!!