Thursday, February 26, 2009

El Jardín Botanico de San Francisco

I finally had my volunteer training at the Botanical Garden Nursery last weekend, and I am in love with the place. It feels so good just to be there. To be surrounded by plants. And people who love plants.

I will be propagating plants for sale at the monthly plant sales. Propagating from seed, by splitting plants and by taking cuttings. I will mix soils for potting according to what the plants want. I will fertilize, I will repot, I will move things from one spot to another. I will make myself generally useful.

I signed up to help every other weekend, but it already feels like it won't be enough. I'm planning to show up again this Saturday and I'll ask if they can use me for the March sale the weekend after that, even though I won't know enough to answer questions. Yet.

But I will. I will. I will know the Latin names of everything. I will know what everyone needs to be happy. I will know who needs more light or a frost or to be kept warm at night or whose seeds need to be soaked in smoke water to germinate. Even all of that I will know.

And it feels good. It feels like happiness.

No comments: