Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Escondido

What I really want to talk about though is Escondido.

I had the world's loveliest time this weekend. And you're probably getting a picture in your head of what I might mean by that, but I'm almost sure that whatever you're thinking, it was even better than that.

I don't know what to say other than that I feel charmed. My dear friend John is (as we had suspected) the sweetest, most wonderful, charming, lovely and best person ever. I am jealous of myself for getting to spend three whole days with him.

I could tell you that we drank wine and watched films in french. Or that he took me to the Russian ballet and we sat so close you could see the sweat dripping down the dancers' faces. Or that we went to the circus and to see Mike Farrell talk about human rights. Or that I got to meet his dad and played pool with his brother - And Didn't Even Always Lose! Or that his brother played us Hank Williams singing Hey Good Lookin' on the jukebox. Or that the bartender shouted HEY LOVEBIRDS to get our attention when a gentleman at the bar ordered us a round of shots. But you wouldn't know that the best part was that John was there.

Am I allowed to admit that the first thing I did when I got up this morning was look at more flights to San Diego? I don't know, but it's true.

I suppose I'm just kind of dumbstruck that all these images floating through my head could really have happened to me.

I want to say I feel lucky, but that doesn't even come close.

No comments: