Tuesday, February 17, 2009

lisa vs. banjo

I could not for the life of me play a single song at my lesson today. There are some days when I sound like a pro. And then there are days like today when my teacher mentions that I look like I'm having a row with the bit of stuff in my lap.

There's just this one part of Blackberry Blossom that is basically impossible to play. The end of the B part where you have to go from the crazy 7th stretch to the little bit around the fifth fret with your fingers crossed over the wrong way and then hop back up to do a pull off.

But I had a few minutes before my little chat with India tonight so I pulled out the banjo so as not to be tempted to more actual work than was necessary, determined to beat my head against that song a few more times just because I'm stubborn like that. Except that I nailed it. I got it once and I've only ever played it right maybe twice in my entire life (granted I've only known how to play this song for maybe three weeks, but still). So I tried it again and I got it again. And again and again.

Needless to say I am HIGHLY pleased with myself at the moment. There is hope for me yet.

No comments: