Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Art crush

I discovered Mark Hearld wandering around Moe's this afternoon, and oh my god this man is amazing. I may even like him as much as Bernard Buffet.

Some of these kind of remind me of Nikki McClure, except better and with more feeling. No offense to Nikki McClure. I do like her stuff too, but I seem to have a predilection for block printing.

This is what printmaking should be.

Pigeons Park

White Hart

Starling on the Shore

Sea Change


Pheasant


I love the way he's able to take artistic liberty, putting his character into the prints, while being true to the essence of each animal. And, of course the sharpness inherent in block prints.

St Jude's even prints fabric of his Doveflight design.

Doveflight

Doveflight detail


Is he not amazing? I wonder to myself why decent prints like this are so hard to find at fabric stores. ...And then I checked the price tag -- £44.00 per metre. Ouch.

Still, I am inspired. Seeing these makes me want to turn my favorite plants into prints like this. And then learn how to screenprint.

Thank you, M. Hearld for getting the creative juices flowing!

1 comment:

Ciana said...

these are stunningly beautiful!