Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sweet potato & parmesan polenta

After a girl in my permaculture class was moaning over some sweet potato-parmesan focaccia she got at Arizmendi the other day, I was inspired to make an attempt at reproducing the flavor she was describing myself. I thought I'd try it with polenta in my attempt to find the few things I'm willing to by nearly pre-made from the store. Those tubes of polenta are one of them.

I added in tomato because I thought a little sauciness to it would be nice. The red onions give it a nice sweetness too, especially when they get crispy in the oven. Here's what I came up with:

Sweet potato & parmesean polenta

for this you will need:
one tube polenta
sweet potato
parmesean
red onion (optional)
tomato (optional)

suggested instruction:
Grease a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 350ºF.*
Slice polenta 1/4" thick and lay out flat on baking sheet.
Slice sweet potato and red onion thinly and lay out generously on polenta.
Slice tomato about 1/8" thick and lay out on polenta.
Cover generously with parmesean.
Bake for 30ish minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft, the tomatoes are saucy and the cheese has melted.
Let it cool for a bit so you don't burn yourself and enjoy.

*Pyrex takes too long to heat and keeps the polenta moist. I like it better drier on the baking sheet. It also cooks faster.

No comments: