Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ruffles

I am really dying to get back into designing and sewing clothes. People seem to like the few things I've made in the past and an enterprising classmate was convinced I should be hawking my wares at Art Murmur. He even offered to help stitch a few up.

Impractical as it may be, given my current dirt bathing lifestyle, I want to make dresses. Shirts too, but there are a couple of dresses that have been floating around in my head for ages now. One looks not unlike this:

photo by Garance Doré

But with a different neck line. I'm still into the look of off-white on black. Sharp blacks can get really harsh, and I like the way a little detail like these ruffles can soften it.

photo by Scott Schuman, The Sartorialist

More ruffles here. I like the loose fold-over method on these. There's really no need to make them perfectly neat and aligned when you'll just be bunching them up anyway.

I really should get a sewing machine I know how to use. Or take either of the machines in my closet up the street to the shop to have them checked out (and explained to me). If only every day had 25 hours.

No comments: