Sunday, November 8, 2009

Design #1

This is the first shirt I recall doing without a pattern. I've altered things before, but I believe this was the first thing I started completely from scratch. I've got to say I'm still pretty pleased with it.


I'd done a lot of button down shirts and wanted to try something with a slanted opening, mainly to see if I could figure out how to do it. The rest of the design sort of grew out of the white grid fabric, which I reincarnated from its former life as a sheet. I love working with sheets, by the way. They've got great thread count and last so much longer than standard cotton.

<
shoulder detail


darts


hem


There's also a red side zip, which you can kind of see in the shoulder pic, that I added because I wasn't sure how tight it'd be to get over my head. It turns out I don't need it, but I like it for the color accent. Same thing with the contrast thread. Always a fan of functional things doubling as decoration.

No comments: