Wednesday, November 25, 2009

So long, old friend


It is with a heavy heart that I report the untimely passing of my dearest desktop companion, Emilio the Goldfish.

Originally intended as a feeder fish, Emilio was rescued by my former manager and presented to me on my 27th birthday. Unlike all but the rarest members of the animal kingdom, Emilio exuded an unmistakable lust for life. The impact of his raw, cheerful energy was felt far beyond his small fishbowl. He was a favorite about the office, his excellent swimming abilities and bubble blowing tricks being remarked on by anyone who passed by his corner of the desk.

Emilio enjoyed walks and scenic car rides as well as the occasional shopping excursion. Ever the good sport about having his tank cleaned and water refreshed, he took pleasure in his treat of a few extra fish flakes following a good rinsing. Emilio appreciated the simple things in life like his realistic aquarium plant, the castle drawn on the side of his tank, and the satisfaction of good company.

A longtime resident of the San Francisco Bay Area, Emilio's condition declined rapidly following a long and somewhat stressful roadtrip to Los Angeles. He died of a broken heart after being separated from his lifelong companion. He is survived and dearly missed by his caretaker and close friend, me.

I am not exaggerating when I say that Emilio was hands down the world's best ever goldfish. I am glad we were able to share what brief time we had. I will remember you fondly, my ichthyian friend.

No comments: