Monday, April 20, 2009

Creeper Lagoon on KEXP

Man. I haven't heard this stuff in forever and a day. This song comes on and I almost didn't remember when I knew it from. And now I'm running through all these memories of sophomore year of college. The day I spent plastering flyers around campus for the show we were supposed to have on lower Sproul. Creeper Lagoon was supposed to headline since their full length had just come out, while they were still good, before the songwriter guy left the band. Only they never came because the show was canceled due to the threat of rain and we just stood around with Rilo Kiley who were desperate to play having just bussed it up from LA. So Kendra and I went down to the ASUC store with Jenny Lewis to buy a poster and some markers to tell any fans we were packing up and moving to Cloyne. Yeah, I was hanging out with Jenny Lewis. Their bass player felt bad for us getting all jazzed about a show that was canceled and gave us a copy of the new Rilo Kiley cd - Takeoffs and Landings. We rode their short bus to Cloyne with them where they played an awesome impromtu show.

Or there were the days at Bryan's house in south Berkeley where I discovered Creeper Lagoon in the first place. After one of those Sunday barbecue shows at Bottom of the Hill. We'd go to see Bryan's band - whatever they were called then - play and head back to the East Bay for an all day after party. I'd be the only sober one there as everyone got drunk watching CKY2K, on Bryan's beat up couch. And when we ran out of daredevil videos, there would be sledding down the stairs out into the poor bush out front. There were all the hipster musician parties, practicing on Bryan's drum set, sleeping on his broken sofa bed. And the near fateful day the one kid whose name I forget almost jumped from the shed into the bush through a power line. Thank god that even drunk, these people could recognize that was a bad idea. It was a life I never really felt a part of, but fascinating nonetheless.

No comments: