Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Further adventures in bicycling

Whenever I'm biking in this sweater I wonder how it'd hold up skidded along asphalt. Pretty well, it turns out.

Just about thirty feet from the entrance to Berkeley City College, I was about to head down the driveway and home - the driveway where there is Always an enormous white van parked that obscures the sidewalk beyond - and tonight there appeared just as I was touching the street another biker. Right There. I recall having the thought - my, you're awfully close; I am going to hit you. And then there we were in the street.

His bike appeared unscathed, but my chain popped off and my brakes were out of commission. The great thing about head on collisions with bikers is that almost every biker is also a bike mechanic, and this one just happened to have the tools we needed to realign my brakes, bless him. After shaking out our sore joints, exchanging apologies and safe wishes for the rest of our respective journeys, we pedaled off into the night.

I was on my better behavior biking the rest of the way home. No running red lights or anything. Although I did get cut off by a limo and had to turn out into the street into rapidly oncoming traffic, but no more excitement. I considered my previous bike accidents, and this is certainly the mildest of the main three, at least in terms of damage to my person.

Then, having cleaned the bike grease from my hands, I noticed a bit of buckled metal just above my ethernet port when I took the laptop out to chronicle tonight's adventure. Lucky for me the little plastic prong on my ethernet cable is already broken, I thought. And then there was the trouble opening the computer. I did manage to pry it open, and it does turn on, although it's making something of a gritty buzz and has a new slope up to the top right hand side, and a little metal hillock just above my eject key. Sorry, work computer! Thank you for breaking my fall! Hopefully you'll last another few months at least! I must say that I'm rather impressed with the resilience of the MacBook Pro, this being the second version of it I've landed on, although I'm not sure the new glass screens would fare as well. With any luck, I won't find that out any time soon.

1 comment:

Ciana said...

YIKES! Must have been a day for bike accidents yesterday. Glad to hear that you are okay!! Phew!!!