Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On throwing like a girl

So, I was eating dinner in the park the other day before Spanish (this is my genius new favorite thing to do, now that it's still light out at 6pm) and I swear to God everyone and their mother - mothers literally were there - was out playing some sort of baseball or t-ball or at least the sort of catch that involves mitts and a small hard ball. It must be spring?

In any case, there were these two people - a guy and a girl - who were throwing a ball back and forth. The guy would throw in these direct, solid, effortless lines while the girl would make these belaboured arcs, shouting oops! sorry! almost! next time I'll get it!

And I have to say it just made the whole "throws like a girl" thing really vivid.

So, of course, I am now concerned that, being female myself, I would throw like a girl. I did play softball for two years, but still. I wasn't all that great because my heart was never in it. I still maintain that softball/baseball is not a real sport in the sense that soccer is a real sport. There is far too much standing around and spitting in baseball. If I'm going to dress up in a sporting costume, I want to get my heart pumping and not just because there was too much nicotine in my chewing tobacco. Which is probably what would happen if I tried to chew tobacco, which I have no intention of doing.

I do have a mitt and probably even a softball in my closet somewhere that could be put to making sure I throw like a decent human being. One day this will be put to rights.

No comments: